Monday 3 August 2009

Fit For a King

I rode the trails at Coed y Brenin yesterday for the first time. A lot has been written about this place already, the majority of it good, so it’s difficult to add something that hasn’t already been said.

I’ve been looking forward to riding these trails for some time now and they certainly didn’t disappoint. Translated from Welsh ‘Coed y Brenin’ means Kings Forest and the trails there are certainly fit for a king. In fact if I was king then that’s where I would ride. It really is that good. Miles and miles of technically demanding single-track coupled with superb facilities at the visitor centre all add up to a right ‘royal’ day out.

I started out riding the Tamwar trail. Designed as an introduction to what the rest of the trails have to offer its short (5 miles) but super technical and will have you desperate to get out and ride one of the longer trails.

Back at the car the sun was shining and all was good with the world. I decided to tackle the Dragons Back. The trail offers 25 miles of black graded single track, a couple of horrible climbs and some amazing views across the Snowdonia national park.

Three hours later, I trundled back into the car park. My legs ached, I couldn’t feel my forearms anymore and my hands felt as though they had been welded to my bars. The only thing I could think of was when I would be coming back. That’s how good it is. If you ride a mountain bike and haven’t been yet then go there. If you don’t own a mountain bike then buy one and then go and ride the trails at Coed y Brenin. I promise that you won’t regret it.

Good Points

All of it.

Bad Points

None of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment